Mind your own business (Guy Gardner)

marvel

Oh, me? No I don't believe we've met before. No, I'm nobody special, just a college senior with an overly expensive Starbuchs habit." Mary Bromfield gave the clerk a small laugh as she paid for her order then took her moch and pastry back to her table where a stack of applications sat waiting for her along with her resume.

It was only a couple months ago that Mary began her senior year at Duke University, so what was she currently doing in the big Apple for the weekend? Mary had been studying hard, and when she graduated at the end of this school year, she planned on doing so with a business degree. Right now however she was in New York  scouting out potential job opportunities that weould eventually suit her degree, as well as to try and sniff out potential places to live that suited her. Unfortunately Mary still lived in a world that ran on money, a resource she was running dangerously low on and unless she wanted to go crawling back to Fawcetrt City and depend on her adopted parents, which she didn't, Mary had to come up with cash P.D.Q.

Which brought her to where she was now, giving some serious attention to the applications she acquired and trying to sort out her future. *Saving the world is nice but it doesn't pay the bills.** She thought silently while hoping no one recognized her.

5f6655840bd134e77b3cf84d81d5878f.png

Guy Gardner, Wielder of the Green Power Ring, Hero of the Universe, was currently wiping down the counter of the hole-in-the-wall bar thusly name Crud.  It wasn’t exactly a tourist attraction, in fact it wasn’t much of an attraction except for bikers, thugs, pimps, and other not-so-legal customers.  Guy didn’t care, just as long as they paid their tab and didn’t shoot or stab anyone while In the bar, he was pretty content.

In truth, his latest business venture was more busy work.  Since his last “disagreement” with the Guardians on OA, he’d decided he needed a break from ring- slinging.  Of course, he still bore the ring; even now it pulsed on his finger as if happily purring.  If he were truly needed it would let him know well and he’d go shooting off into space, but for now he was content to be the mindful business man.

And busy he was.  Even with the dregs of humanity drifting in and out of the bar at night, it was still hopping on the weekends, enough that Guy actually had an ad tacked to the door, looking for help.  He surely didn’t want to advertise in the paper.  No, he needed somebody from the neighborhood, people that knew what it was like in amongst the aged brownstones.   Someone that was street savvy enough to avoid getting into a fight, or able to hold themselves In a fight.  So far no luck.  For a town that seemed to have half of its populous unemployed and living off the government dole, he would have thought that Somebody would have at least asked.  But know, apparently the drug dealers were still snagging up what was left of the best and brightest.

At least it was quiet now, late in the morning.  He was waiting for the beer order to arrive, just to make sure he Got the order and not any of the little punk- asses that would try to steal it right out of the trailer.  So far he didn’t hear the familiar sounds of the rig yet, so was doing a little housekeeping….

Image result for guy gardner dc

An hour after leaving Starbucks.

Mary had been minding her own business, calmly driving her car back to her hotel room for the weekend when her wheels decided they no longer wanted to go round and round all through the town.

Unwilling or unable or both to shell out big bucks for a tow truck but having little choice in the matter regardless. Mary had a look of disgust on her face as she stepped out of her car, locked it down and began her search for some place she could use a phone to call a mehcanic. The look of disgust went deeper when she realized where she was stranded at. Virtually within spitting distance of Guy Gardner's bar.

With a deep sigh of defeat under her breath, Mary tapped her knuckles on the door and hoped with all that was in her that Guy would let her use his phone since her cell phone currently lacked enough battery to use. She hadn't even noticed the help wanted sign and even if she had, the last thing on her mind was working in a bar of any kind and pouring alcohol, let alone working either for or with Guy Gardner. Clearly she had underestimated him if she had forgotten or was unaware of how stubborn and conniving the man could be

"Come on, Guy. Open the door." She murmured calmly and knocked again on the locked door.

5f6655840bd134e77b3cf84d81d5878f.png.51691e618710a1c7eae992253ee59b24.png

“About time,” he murmured as he headed to the door, pausing a moment to make sure it was the driver.  It wouldn’t be the first time some punk kids tried to muscle their way into His bar looking for a score, only to meet a very irate ring- slinger.  He paused before he realized who it was.  He had crossed the paths of several supes over the years, kind of hard Not to in his line of work, and for the most part he made friends.  Most of the time.  Sometimes his mouth got the better of him.  Mary was one of those times.  He paused again.  Was she here looking to pick a fight?  Hardly, not the way she was looking, rather disheveled, as if she were already having a bad day.  Guy pursed his lips a bit then opened the door, Not enough to let her in, but enough for her to see him.  “Well hel-LO there, Miss Marvel.  What can I do for you?”

Image result for guy gardner dc

After pushing her car as far as she had, and in her normal form to boot, Mary wasd rather disheveled, snd was muttering under her breath at Guy's smarmy attitude and refusal to open the door completely to let her in. Once a jerk, always a jerk. "My car broke down, Gardner. Would you mind letting me in please so I can use your phone? If I'm lucky I can afford a tow truck. And it's not Marvel, it's Bromfield. I'm not in costume right now."

5f6655840bd134e77b3cf84d81d5878f.png.51691e618710a1c7eae992253ee59b24.png

He gave a sigh.  While he could kind of understand the need of secrecy at times, he for one wasn't one to hide behind a mask, or a secret identity.  He just shrugged and opened the door wider, allowing the under-cover super-heroine to enter.  "C'mon in then, before any of your adoring fans see you."

Okay, maybe he was being a little bit of a dick.

Guy closed the door and locked it, peering out the window perhaps to make sure that indeed Mary wasn't followed, then gestured towards the bar.  Phone's on the back bar, behind the register.  Dial straight out."  He paused for a moment.  "Less you want Me to take a look at your car... unless you fear that might blow your cover as well?"

guy_gardner_by_sav83.jpg

"Thank you..." Mary exhaled deeply and walked in, squinting on her way toward the house phone. She took about 5 steps in that direction then stopped, stunned in a way that words couldn't describe as she flipped her hair and looked over her shoulder. "Do my ears deceive me or did Guy Gardner just offer to help a lady out at no benefit to himself?" She asked sweetly with a giggle though she was slightly apprehensive that there would be a hidden catch. She didn't let it show though. Instead she nodded, her smile still in place. "It WOULD save me a bundle of cash if you could fix it/ Let's go/"

3134848-mary.jpg

The smile that spread across Guy's face Was a little creepy.  "Let's just say that you'll owe me one," he replied as he fetched his leather coat.  "C'mon then, before I change my mind."  He probably should stay and wait for the truck, but it seemed the sooner he got Mary out of his hair, the better.

As they walked back towards her car, he got curious.  "So what Did bring you to my neck of the woods anyhow?  Didn't think you'd be slumming it."

latest?cb=20091115134212

"Nat-ur-a-llyyyyy." Mary sang out sarcastically, and rolled her eyes as she led the way toward her car for the Lantern.

Obviously a deathwish. DUH! That was the first thought that popped into Mary's mind after Guy's question but shje dared not voice it out loud at this moment. As much as she hated to admit it, she really did need Garner's assistance and she was grateful he was willing to bend  for her, price tag or no price tag.

Oh I'm just cruising around the big apple for the weekend when I happened on your local Starbucks. Had to feed the need and do some paperwork at the same time. Then I'm ready to leave but my car isn't. If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all." She sighed and raised the hood once they reached her car for Guy to take a look.

MaryMarvelbyEDBENES.jpg.1c06ac86b856ba8cf81a0d450ec9eafa.jpg

Perhaps the Lantern was showing off a bit as he leaned over the engine block.  "Hrm," he mused before the ring activated.  An over-sized luminescent green hand reached out to lift the car off the road, giving the duo a better look under the chassis, now that the car was 8 feet above the road.  It was pretty clear that something was wrong as oil was all over the underside of the car.  "Blew a seal," he frowned as the green helping hand lowered the car back to the pavement.  "You ain't going anywhere soon in that.  Be lucky if the engine isn't seized up."

guy_gardner_green_lantern_wallpaper-normal.jpg

Mary facepalmed when the news was broken that her car was out of commission for the forseeable future and she had to be back on campus in less than 2 days. Of course she had a quicker, more reliable mode of transportation on the tip of her tongue but Mary Marvel couldn't fly everywhere. Using the power 24/7 tended to be frowned upon. The question remained of wehat she got back to North Carolina.

"Is there anything you can do to fix it?" Mary asked with a hopeful expression in place. "Or at least how much it might cost to get this oil leak on wheels fixed?"

83662-25733-mary-marvel.jpg.4b06997c11ae8f2156fbc2ce8eab8f4c.jpg

"Well, I'm not a mechanic, and I don't think you'ld like the way I'd fix it anyhow, especially if you don't want any attention."  He now turned to look down at Mary, crossing his arms over his barrel chest.  "I Do know a guy.  I can have him look at it.  Can't make any guarantees though.  Running that with no Oil could've blown the engine."  Okay, he might be smirking a bit.  "Might have ta rent a car to get around for a few days."

Mary just stood there and sighed. Her patience was wearing thin and Guy's constant smirking wasn't helping. "I can't afford a rental car and I certainly can't afford to get this fixed right now, which means I am stuck here!" She shook her head in disgust then looked back to Gardner as she spoke. "Can this day possibly get any worse, and what the3 hell are you smirking at, Guy?"

The Lantern just looked over the scene.  Yes, he Could watch her wallow in despair, and it was entertaining to see her knocked off her high horse, but then he caved.  "Look, I know you don't like free handouts, so let me offer this.  I need an extra hand in the bar, someone that I can trust and someone that can handle themselves.  You work for me and I'll get your ride fixed up."  He stood, arms crossed, sure that she Wouldn't take his offer.

There was a shocked expression on Mary's face that brought a few moments of silence. Okay, she certainly did not see that coming. The young college student brought a hand to her forehead and meticulously began rubbing her temples. There were a ton of reasons that automatically came to mind as to why she couldn't and shouldn't do this. "I have to be back at college tomorrow! On top of that, I don't know the first thing about being a barkeep and I don't drink. Of all people, why me, Guy? Is this really an attempt at generosity or just an attempt to get me into a tight outfit for your viewing pleasure." She stopped babbling for a moment and sighed. "I do need the money butI just don't know..."

3134848-mary.thumb.jpg.eef60bf8ccf5794f25c36c734ad27fd9.jpg

It was interesting to see her flustered.  Cleary she was pinned between a rock and a hard place and wasn't easily rolling with the changes of her predicament.   "Look, sometimes life don't go the way you want.  Maybe you need to change your venue as it were.  Or you can risk your 'secret' and just fly home.  I was just offering you a way to help.  I get some super-powered folk in here.  I just thought somebody that wasn't sucking up the profits in booze that could handle an overgrown oaf while my back was turned would do me some good, but if you Gotta go back to school; don't let me stop you.  Besides, there is such a thing as on-line courses."

He gave a sigh.  "And yeah, maybe seein' ya in something skimpy would be interesting too, but in case you haven't noticed, this ain't a Hooters.  You can wear whatever ya want.  In eed a bouncer, not a bartender, nor a skirt flouncin' her tits all over the place."

"So, you interested or no?"

Mary bit her lower lip and sighed. Deeply. She hated to admit it but she was stuck. She now had no wheels and no money. She was in desperate need of the latter. Working for Guy Gardner in a place like this seemed like a fate worse than death but she knew she had no choice. With another deep sigh, she decided she wasn't going to be here advocating drinking, she would just be here to either prevent or break up bar fights or dispose of non paying customers. At least by telling herself that she could still sleep soundly tonight. Somewhere.

"You win, I'll take the job, Guy but this is only temporary. I need a place to stay though."

Guy nodded his head, happy that she'd agreed.  "The office has a cot,and there's a hotplate in there.  I used to use it alot 'til I got an apartment.  You're welcome to use it, 'specially since you ain't stickin' around long."

By now he was on his cell, calling the garage to get Mary's ride towed in and worked on.  "We need to get back to the shop before the truck does."

Mary nodded slowly in response, still in disbelief that she just agreed to this but she mentallytried to put a positive spin on it. Like she said, this was only going tyo be temporary. Right? She now was trying to convince herself it couldn't possibly be as bad as she first imagined.

Okay. Since you just hired me to be a bouncer, obviously you don't need a college student, you nee4d muscle. I'll be in as soon as I find a safe place to...change."

3 minutes later, a powered up Mary Marvel walked into the bar, biting her lower lip and continuing to prep herself for this. Having already magically transformed her costume into a pair of jeans, a t-shirt and a denim jacket, the heroine approached Guy and looked around. "Any sign of your delivery truck yet?"

He liked the change; it would suit the bar well.  He peeked through the blinds of the window.  "No truck yet.  Strange."  He pursed his lips a bit before heading to the back of the bar where the stockroom and the back door to the allyway were.  He unbarred the back door, the metal bar having done its job as it was clear that somebody had tried several times to kick the door in and failed; then swung the rattling door open.  Nothing in the alley.

Next he was on the phone, calling the distributor, that rare bit of concern crossing his face, before he hung up, folding the phone and slipping it back into his pocket.  "I think we have a problem.  Let's go for a stroll."

"So it would seem." Mary pursed her lips as she examined the dirty footprints still on the door as well as the dent. "Whoever tried getting in here clearly had their wheaties this morning. Who'd you tick off this time?" She then nodded at Guy's suggestion for a stroll. "By foot or by air."

• 2 weeks later...

The Lantern pursed his lips.  “Let’s walk.  You see things as street level that you might miss flyin’ overhead.”  Guy didn’t “suit up”.  Even though he didn’t exactly hide the fact that he wielded a Ring, he preferred the biker leather jacket and thick jeans over the Crud logoed T-Shirt with slime green lettering on black.  As they walked out the back of the bar, Guy taking a moment to lock the door; he nodded to a few other merchants; the baker two doors down, whom also seemed to be looking for his daily delivery of stock.  Three doors from there was the grocer, also looking for his truck.  “Hrm,” Gardner noted as they continued their stroll down the alley before reaching the street.  Here he turned left, following the route back towards the freeway.

There they found the trucks.

Four rigs were stopped as if waiting for the light, lined up behind each other in the turn lane.  No drivers.  Trucks still running.  One traffic cop was on the scene, on the horn to call in back up so he had just found them as well.  There were a few bystanders, all curious as to what was going on.  Guy approaches the cop, pointing to the rigs.  “That one in the front.  That’s my stock order.”

The cop finished calling in then turned to the duo, eyeing the leather jackets a moment, but it was the bright day of morning and Gardner didn’t look threatening or out of place.  “Not anymore,” he replied.  “If there was anything, it’s gone now.  You wanna give a statement?  In case we do find yer stuff?”

While Guy fumbled for his invoice he would have used to check the load against Mary would be able to get a closer look at the rigs.  No damage to the rear doors, just the seals cut.  Guy’s truck still had the back door open, all the pallets of merchandise missing.

Mary took a few minutes to carefully scrutinize the handiwork on every set of doors to each rig that had been forced, and frowned before returning to where Guy and the officer were talking. "Have you checked the doors for fingerprints yet where they had been forced, officer?" She asked then turned her eyes to Guy. "Let's see, your stuff is missing and so is the baker's in addition to the other merchants, so either the drivers are all off having a block party with the food  and beer and laughing as they mess with your minds, or something darker is going on. If that's the case then the drivers are currently in danger. We just have to find them. Maybe the culprits left a trail to follow."

In truth nothing had been forced.  It was as if they had rolled up to their destinations and opened the doors for unloading.  It was just unless whomever had hijacked the load, and apparenlty the drivers, must have used a forklift, though there were no rubber or drag marks in the rigs or on the street.  It was as if the merchandise had floated away, or vanished.  More police collected on the scene, dusting for fingerprints and the like.  Of course there were plenty, but then anyone loading a rig would end up touching the doors, the handles, the sides of the trailer, the cab, etc.  Clearly they would be sorting out the who's who for a while.

Guy was now looking over the street, as if trying to deduce where their orders had gone.  There were two warehouses on the other side of the street, both quiet for now, no cars or foot traffic, nightime street lights still lit.  There were four stores to the right of the rigs, likewise still closed, with only one old fella shuffling up to the door to the convenience store, taking several tries on his keyechain before finding the right key.  He did look for a moment at the hubub, but he seemed jaded by the old affair.  He just shook his head and went inside the store to open up.

The Lantern wasn't happy.

Mary noticed and was watching the old man carefully then shook her head before looking at Guy with suspicion in her eyes. Wondering if Guy was thinking the same thing she was, that the man clearly knew something considering his body language. Besides, he was the only possible leadthey had at the moment. "Are we going to talk to him?"