Introductions

Cptdragon9

(I’ve never played Lex before, so I’m gonna give him a whirl….)

Lex Luthor found himself in a very strange situation.

Of course the whole event that had predicated his current position had been strange from the start. He’d been working on a device to put Superman in the ground once and for all. Yes, he’d boasted that he’d had the Kryptonian dead to rights many a time, but this latest invention of his had focused not on overcoming the Man of Steel’s might, but on distorting the immediate area around him, essentially stranding him in a pocket dimension where no yellow sun existed.

It had been a grand scheme indeed. Preliminary testing had been quite promising and he was now up to live trials. Finding “guinea pigs” had been insanely easy, especially when the promise of lots of cold, hard cash had been wafted in front of their faces. The first subject had been strapped on the gurney, several transmitters placed around him to facilitate the dead zone that would be generated around that great big blue boyscout. Lex had leaned into the switch, bypassing his normal rousing speech in lieu of results, and thrown the switch…..

…. …

He couldn’t say how exactly it had gone all wrong, or even if it Had gone wrong. There was a small explosion, nothing much more than some billowing black smoke that emitted from one of the generators; but when it all cleared, he was the only one left standing in the lab. Correction, he was the only One in the lab. The fixtures and furniture were still in place. There was no smoking crater or evidence that something had blown up. Heck even the gurney was still there, it was just missing its occupant.

Of course he thought that somehow he’d been sucked into the null zone, but when he emerged from the lab, he found himself facing many of his employee’s that had come rushing to make sure he was all right. They Looked like his employees. Granted he never really took notice of the plebes that worked under his roof, but it was clear that he was far from alone. He’d allowed the doctors to look him over, but as far as anyone could determine, he was just as hale and hearty as normal.

Nobody was able to explain as to what happened to everyone else in that room. Tech in bio-hazard suits combed through the remains, but couldn’t find even so much as a power spike.

While his people searched for answers, Lex had gone on with his life, but he quickly realized that some things were amiss. One big thing in general.

Superman.

Not a mention in the newspapers, nor blips on TV. Not even recorded in history books or outdated magazines. It was as if he had never existed. Lex had even drilled a few of his minions, ones that wouldn’t readily blab about their employer’s line of questioning provided they were aptly compensated for their discretions.

Alas, his nemesis was gone… or in this case had never been.

It had been easy to deduce from that fact that Lex actually Had slipped into some alternate dimension, and in this world he could rule supreme, unhindered and uninhibited. He was now three weeks into his referendum, already cozying up to various political powers, threatening those that didn’t tow the Luthor party line. Metropolis was beginning to wake up to a new cleaner, efficient, productive world with Lex guiding her along to a new utopia.

A world without Superman.

He was beginning the day as he normally did, reading over the news- bits on his tablet while Mercy set about fixing breakfast for him. The world wasn’t perfect. There was an earthquake in Nepal that had killed thousands. Lex would send his own peace force and funds to match to help in the aftermath, making sure people had food to eat and a modular home to stay in while he helped the country rebuild with more quake-stable structures. That would help him get a foothold in the East. A volcano in Chile still threatened towns and homes. He would see that everyone was evacuated to safe shelters while his crack team of scientists helped to divert the lava flow and reroute the subterranean magma so it wouldn’t blow through the top of the cone. His peace-keeping force would be better suited to deal with any would-be looters.

All of this was accomplished with just a few taps on the tablet screen before Lex set the device down on the table, just in time as Mercy emerged from the kitchen with a plate of eggs Benedict and several slices of Iberian ham. “Thank you, Mercy,” he smiled as he tucked the white linen napkin in his lap.

It was good to be the king.

It was a bad time to be a princess.

A few weeks previously, Donna Troy, sister to Princess Diana and a princess in her own right, had been engulfed a knockdown, dragout exchange of fists withe Giganta in the New York City of her world. It ended with Giganta giving her a slip, gaining a head start, & dropping off the radar.

Among the onlookers dotting the sidewalks, many were cheering, some yell derogatory comments about her not being Diana, and none of them were wise enough to get out of harms way. Donna had other problems...such as playing follow the leader until she slammed into a time warp that felt like a stone wall and vanished.

That was 3 weeks ago.

Now not only in what was obviously an alternate earth, but also one that apparently had no Superman, no Amazons, or any other heroes. None yet at any rate. A few weeks of using every waking moment digging for answers produced only one lead ut it was a strong one.

Her ebon locks were now wind tossed as shew toward the one man she could get answers from and let her knuckles dance on Luthor's window.

"Ahem." She cleared her throat as the stars on her black outfit glistened. "It's time we had a talk."

Of course his good fortune couldn’t have lasted. At least it wasn’t the boy scout, but it was still disconcerting to see a woman (a rather attractive one at that, but then again these aliens all were just that, too perfect; definitely not human) hovering outside his penthouse window. He turned his head only slightly as Mercy came running into the room, looking ready to dole out her own form of punishment, but he gave her a dismissive gestured, all the while keeping his eyes glued to his interloper. Mercy gave Donna the once over, then ever so reluctantly left the room, though she wasn’t very far from the door either.

All the while Lex’s head was in full gear, working on all the angles this could possibly go. He now recognized her as Donna Troy (no way he lived on Planet Earth and did not know the comings and goings of all those super- powered) It was amply clear that she wasn’t here to arrest him or some nonsense like that, and the fact that she wasn’t wearing the Wonder Woman mantle was telling as well. That and the fact that the rest of the Legion of Superheroes wasn’t likewise hovering out over the balcony either. He pondered a few more possibilities before he strode over to the window and opened it wide to allow her access to his living room. “Please come in. Make yourself comfortable.” He gestured to the platter set out for his breakfast as he’d yet to touch the coffee. “I can have Mercy bring you some tea, if you like.”

Of course Lex didn’t sit. He was still a bit cautious, padding around her before positioning himself across the way from the Amazon. “I assume you have a few questions. I do as well myself. Perhaps we can enlighten each other?” He did offer a sincere smile, letting her know that he wasn’t going to blast her into oblivion… at least not yet. Besides, at this point it would just be rude.

Lex_Luthor_(Justice)_003.jpg

Donna did have a few questions. Perhaps more than a few as she hovered outside the window with no reason not to expect to be brushed aside like an afterthought. Hence the reason why inwardly she was caught offguard when Luthor pushed open an entrance. outwardly she still wore a serious, unfazed, mask. Diana had taught her well. Those were metal amazon gauntlets she wore on her wrists, not her feelings. She would have expected a trap as well if she hadn't sensed surprise from the bald billionaire regarding her arrival.

"I think we both know I didn't come here to get comfortable, but I think I will have some tea." She consented to the hunger pangs creeping up on her, but kept standing. "As I suspect you may be aware, a gew weeks ago I arrived here for no reason and without warning. Three weeks of searching for answers, and the only one I've found so far is you." Donna began to pace, her tone sounding uncharacteristically more confused instead of angry or questioning. "I strongly suspect, and logically so, that you know more than you've let on. How did we both get here and why?" She asked, lines under her eyes that indicated excessive failed detective work and insufficient rest lately began to show.

Lex knew that he wasn’t going to be able to bully around an Amazon princess. If she was going to pace, there wasn’t much he could do about it other than attempt to placate her. Of course he wasn’t going to admit to any part of what had happened them as due to any fault of his own. He wasn’t exactly sure If it was his fault, in part or in whole, but he would do his best to explain what he could.

Which wasn’t much, and that infuriated him. He was one of the smartest men ever on the planet. It shouldn’t have been so damned difficult to figure out what had happened and if it was reversible. But then again he really didn’t want to reverse anything. It had been a quiet, stress-free, three weeks and he was looking forward to making more progress and acquiring more power to keep everything in line… just in case whatever-had-happened had the chance to happen again.

He tried again to gesture slightly for the Amazonian to settled down and take a seat, letting her decide on making her own tea (bypassing that whole uncomfortable subject of poisoning) as he began to pace; not in the agitated way Wonder Woman had been, more like a slow crossing, pacing out his arguments to match his stride. “What I suspect has happened to us it that there has been a cross-temporal shift. How that has happened I am not entirely sure. What I do know is that it would take a massive amount of energy in a very confined space to cause such a rift; atomic explosions, fusion reactions, stars dying and forming into black holes; all of these would have the amount of matter and energy to shift time and space. Quite possibly it originated from another time and pulled our world into itself.” That would have been the most logical conclusion on his behalf. His failed experiment might have been merely the pinprick that allowed something of that magnitude to sweep through the hole and take up the Earth and shift it. Of course why only a few people came over, leaving behind the ones like Superman (so far) continued to confound him as well.

Luthor turned, giving his guest a wry smile. “I fear that much like some celestial-sized sifter, only a portion of the planet made it through to this version of the universe. That would explain why some of our more prominent figures haven’t been seen these past few weeks, while new ones have appeared. The rift must have pulled in several versions of the Earth, lightly layering them on top of each other, and only where they brush up against each other is where we are seeing the anomalies. New cities, new kinds of people… these mutants the news is hounding on about.”

He now turned his attention back to Donna. “What about your home, Themyscira? Is it still there? Or has it been supplanted by another island, one without your sisters?”

Lex_Luthor_(Justice)_003.jpg

Donna was gently bit her lower lip, a quirk she usually did when her head was spinning, and most times she did so without realizing it. Her slightly tanned arms were also folded over chest when she finally stopped pacing. Finally and reluctantly, the state of exhaustion she'd pushed herself to but tried to deny won the war. With all the typical elegance she could still muster, her fingers smoothed along the coil of her lasso on her way to pour a cup then take a seat.

She carefully weighed every word he spoke. It might be due to her deplenished physical state but shadn't latched on to any lapse in his tone or body language to indicate lies...yet.

"No trace at all." She shook her head between sips of tea. "And believe me, it was the first place I checked. Adrift in the middle of an untamed ocean.. It looks like we're both alone here."

Luthor did look like he was sorry, but he also knew that such blows could only serve to make one stronger, provided they had to fortitude to push past the setbacks. He knew of the Amazons and their ways and he was quite sure that this particular Warrior Woman would be able to do so as well. He now clasped his hands behind his back as he walked the room, slowly and with purpose as Donna set abut making her tea. “Indeed,” he agreed. “It seems that many of our foes and friends have been left behind, along with many of our arguments and laments. Which does bring up a question.”

Again he paused to give her a sidelong glance. “Do you plan to follow the path that was your calling, or would you be amiable to forge new alliances?” He continued his path across the room and turned again. “Despite how the world portrays... portraid... me, I am not a monster. I care for people, perhaps too much in the way I fought to keep those like... him... from running roughshod over them. I can do better here without such distractions. I can invest in schools, hospitals; making things better for the human condition in general.”

Lex now stopped to turn and face her directly. “ I will not make apologies for what I did or how I did it. What I am offering is a chance to do the same here, to help others that might also be lost and alone and need help. What I am asking is your assistance. You might not be him, but you stand for the same principals. People will be looking for a becon of hope and you can offer it to them. If we work in tandem, we can both do much to make this a great city... a great world... without all the conflicts of the previous one.”

Indeed it would go along way to avoid the same battle that he had endured time and time again with Superman. This was his chance to do it all again, in fact he was already doing that, investing his time and money to make Metropolis the beaming light it should have been. If he could coax the Amazon to help him rather than fight him at every turn it would indeed be perfect. Like it should have been.

lexbanner_zpshkynjoh2.jpg

The man can make poison look, smell, and taste sweet as you swallow it, Donna.

Donna was the less well known and less trumpeted of two Amazon, but no less as qualified. She had also heard Diana compare Luthor to poison more than once. She'd heard plenty about Lex and his infamous battles with Superman. She also suspected that deep down his intentions might have been noble or even pure, even iff he wass on the wrrong path to accomplishing them.

He may have been on the wrong path

Or perrhaps she never fouund the right path for herself due to being blinded and locked away inDiana's shadow. A warm but small smile stretched Donna's lips and sparkled her eyes with hope. She was here. A new world, a new calling and perhaps an olive branch being offered to her...and not a single shadow in sight.

The weight was falling off her shoulders, and taking time to think about a choice she'd already made woouldn't change it in the slightest. She allso had no where else to go if she refused this alliance.

"If I've learned one thing from my sisters, it's that everyone deserve a shot at redemption and a chancee to start over. I love my sisters dearly, Lex Luthor but they aren't here...and you are. I accept your offer." She stood again and made direct eye contact. "I'm also on my last nerve, physically, and I could use something substantial besides tea. Where do you and I start?"

"We start, my dear, by establishing some equal footing." He gestured to the whole of the working apartment. "Feel free to use the facilities. After a shower and some sleep you should be more refreshed and able to make more cohesive decisions. If we Are going to form some sort of rapport I do not want you to feel that you've been compromised or have any suspicions pertaining to our future venture." Of course he had cameras mounted all over the loft since some overbearing Kryptonian had a habit of dropping in uninvited. He would keep an eye on his new business partner but he had a gut feeling that she was indeed genuine in her reply. Besides the women of Themyscira were almost too honest for their own good; perhaps believing too much in the right of their cause.

Such honesty could be used as well as a cunning lie.

Not that he needed to lie. He did want to make the world a better place. To do so he needed to be in a place of power so that he could insititute his plans, and now he had a figurehead of honesty to bolster his image. His primary goal now was to make sure that Donna was comfortable in that role. "I've have Mercy whip you up something substancial. Do you have any preferences?"

Donna Troy would not have deserved the title of an amazon princess if she didn't still have a doubt or two about her new partner in the back of her mind. She wasn't born yesterday and was quite sharp in more ways than one.

The hair that now stood on the back of her neck leaned slightly to the creepy side, and based on what she already knew, or at least had heard about the billionaire, there was only one logical conclusion to jump to. "First off, if we are truly going to be equal partners,, no playing "big brother". I am not your enemy and if you have any inkling of spying on me, don't.. Besides we've already established I am alone here. Who would i rat you out to if I wanted? Which I don't..."' She spoke up. She couldn't see tthe cameras.. She couldn't see the wind either but she still felt it.

""A couple of pieces of French toast and some fruit would be nice. Ii do need a shower as well but my costume is all I have for clothing and as an amazon I lack money. I also lack any extra clothes unfortunately. The morr I think about it, the more I realize how out of sorts I am, but I'll survive. It's what I do."

45 minutes later she'd washed, eaten, and was slumbeering soundly.

Lex had let her eat in quiet, having left the penthouse suite so that she could indeed take in all that had happened to her. It also gave him time to investigate, using satellite footage to track where she’d been spotted. Not that he didn’t believe her, but he had learned long ago to trust, but verify.

And indeed it seemed that Donna had been wandering around, lost. He tracked her movements all over the globe and noted the logical progression as she checked after every home she’d ever known, and the places where her teammates had gathered over the years before coming to his aerie. He had done the same himself when he noticed the shift, more to assuage his paranoia than locate lost friends and family, but the process had been the same.

She would wake to find a wardrobe laid out for her. He clearly understood the woman’s taste as none of it was flashy or extravagant. In fact it was very businesslike with tailored pants suits in dark grays cut to accommodate her musculature, with lighter shades in the cotton blouses to match. The shoes were sensible leather flats. There was also a kit with the basic toiletries. A drawer had been opened in one of the dressers, indicating its assignment to her, should she have need of it.

It seemed that Luthor was going out of his way to make her feel as comfortable as possible without being too pretentious about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Being partners in cahoots with Lex Luthor. It was a day Donna never thought she'd see and could have never envisioned. If they were around, her sister and queen mother would both be up in arms over this...but of course they were no longer around, and Donna' heart told her to resign herself to starting her life over, for all intents and purposes. It also meant she no longer had a royal title but that was the least of Donna Troy's concerns for now.

Thinking hard on what she'd agreed to was what stirred her awake once she'd had sufficient sleep. She was sleeping in his bed for crying out loud. Okay not exactly his bed, but it was under his roof, so... As she left the bed and began to tidy it, the amazon noticed the clothes, which included a bathing suit, no doubt in case she wanted to lounge in the Jacuzzi.

Quick to get dressed in one of the business suits, she placed the rest of her clothes in the dresser, including her costume. but kept her lasso attached to her hip while she fixed her hair, admired the new look of power about her in the mirror and waited for Lex or Mercy or both to return.

Mercy would show up about a half hour later, pausing to knock at the door (though she seem a little awkward at the effort, as if she’d never had to knock before. There also was no welcoming smile. Cleary Lex’s right-hand woman wasn’t one for mewling or acting the submissive. “Mr. Luthor is having dinner on the terrace and asks if you would join him.” Nope, no ‘please’ or ‘thank you,’ or even a ‘how are you’ coming out of Mercy’s mouth. Just blunt directness.

The ‘terrace’ probably would have made most normal folk faint as the balcony had been constructed to jut out over the edge of the penthouse suite, giving the faint of heart a good 40 story view of the street bustling below. Luthor, of course, was no mere folk. He was casually reading the evening newspaper (apparently Lex preferred actual print than the electronic gadgets of the day, at least for relaxed reading) but looked up when Donna stepped out onto the terrace. “Ah, Miss Troy. I trust you feel a bit more refreshed? Please. Sit. Mercy’s made some tantalizingly tart salmon for dinner.” He gestured to the rather in depth spread that covered the table. Clearly Mercy had timed it so that the fish was still steaming, served with steamed broccoli and wild rice. Breads and fruits also lined the table, complete with a myriad of sweet jams and whipped butters. There was a decanter of wine, mirrored by one with water.

Lex was all smiles. “Please enjoy, I’ve already eaten so feel free to indulge in anything you see fit, and if you need or want anything else I’ll have Mercy fetch it for you.”

Mercy didn’t exactly look very thrilled at the prospect.

An invitation to not just dine but to do so face to face with Luthor himself. Of all the things Donna could have anticipated when Mercy came knocking, that wasn't one of them. "I'll be there in a moment." Donna had a gift for sensing and helping quell negative emotions but it wasn't much needed to something was eating Lex's bodyguard. It was so thick it couldn't be cut with a knife. Clearly the woman din't like Donna's presence all that much, a fact Donna could at least try and resolve somehow without being overly obvious about it.

Donna would have to give him kudo points for the design of the terrace. He clearly had style. "Quite classy looking, and I'm well, thank you." Donna answered, Lex was smiling and clearly rolling out the red carpet for her. It brought a smile of her own from Donna's lips as she sat, even amid the dirty looks she felt she was getting from Mercy. "It all looks excellent, thank you, Lex" Donna filled her plate and spread a napkin over her lap. Without a word she turned her eyes back to Mercy, with an inviting look to implore her to sit and eat as well.

"Since you've already eaten, I assume you're lingering out here to discuss the particulars of our partnership?"

“We could if you’re so inclined,” Lex replied. “If you feel better about it, we could even begin to draw up a contract; something more concrete, but only if your inclined to do so. From what I’ve gathered though is that you Amazons are perfectly comfortable with a man’s spoken word being his bond.” He turned the paper he and been perusing to show Donna the headlines: “Mutant’s attack Pentagon”.

Lex left the paper on the table next to Donna’s plate for her to peruse while he talked. “I’m a businessman by trade, but I don’t broke this type of behavior, whether it come from a genetically altered groups based here on Earth, or from an invading alien force. What if we were to offer our services to help bring outbreaks like this under some sort of civil control? Of course most wouldn’t do business with me face to face, but if I had a Wonder Woman in my corner, perhaps my offer would be broached with more thoughtfulness?”

"Ii'm demanding nothing, and you're right. Amazons are typically inclined to take one's word as their bond...provided their words have deeds to support it, and let's be blunt, you don't have the best of track records." Donna answered between bites. "But that being said, this is a new world and a new time It's your chance for a clean slate. No contract is necessary, unless you want one from me. This company is yours and I have no right to ask but I would like to be more than a fighter. The idea of being a businesswoman intrigues me."

Donna's eyes fell studiously on thew news story after Lex nudged the paper her way. I'm not Wonder Woman, Lex. I don't have her clout , notoriety, or name recognition. I'm just Donna Troy. By the gods, this planet may never have even heard of Wonder Woman." She pondered the notion. "I don't like seeing the government attacked anymore than you do and rioting doesn't solve problems. If you think you and I together can accomplish some good then I am in. How soon do we leave?"

Lex merely nodded slighty when Donna took him to task on his checkered past, yet she seemed to sense the chance to start anew in this world. In fact she wanted to start things anew as well and not just be the token Amazon of old. "I see your point," he intoned. "I would be more than delighted to show you how the business world works in exchange for you, let's say, more dubious strengths. You may not be like Diana Prince, but you can more than fill the roll of a warrior woman looking to keep the peace on this planet. People will look up to that strength and get to know you for who you are. I will not compromise that. In fact," he rose now, setting his napkin from his lap onto the empty plate. "I plan to embellish it. Come, I want to show you something."

The ride down the elevator seemed to take longer than it should, the duo riding in the quiet space (no cheap distracting elevator music for Lex), beofre the doors finally opened to what looked like an abandoned parking garage. Lex strode across the dimly lit space without a care; clearly it was more secure than it let on. There were several tunnels that seemed to radiate from the garage, but Lex led her through one that looked like it had collpased, the structure looking very unstable, complete with a slight trickly of falling grout as of a large truck were rolling overhead. Only when Lex approached this rather dubious corner did the whole image flicker, allowing Lex and Donna to pass through. Again the tunnel they walked along was dark, but devoid of the previous wreckage. There was one lone blue faint light at the end of the tunnel whih turned out to be a retina scanner, one that Lex leaned into. There were several click and a soft woosh before the doors slide open, allowing them axis before softly closing behind them.

Light slowly flickered to life, as if they hadn't been used for some time, but what they revealed was a treasure trove of a base that might well have made Batman jealous. "Welcome to my lair," Lex smiled as he gestured for Donna to step forward and investigate. Several large screens were booting up before plugging into various news feeds and video blogs. More cmputaitona computers began to load analysis programs. Along one of the walls were basic weapons of engagment, coupled with heay-duty body armor. nothing nearly as flashy as the Dark Knights, but very functional. "This is just the main hub," Lex clarified as he sat in one of the high backehd chairs, almost spinning in a complete circle before settling his gaze on Donna, trying to judge her reaction. "Every now and then I would tinker arond with the idea of engaging the world's bastions of superheros on their own turf. I'd come down here, add a few more programs, beef up a few of the weapon systems, add another suit; but I've never really had the means nor the notion of being a vigilante. Now that the world is missing several of those key players, maybe we should fill the gap?"

It was a meal Diana would have been proud of, Donna certainly was since healthy eating habits and lifestyles tended to be a hallmark of Themyscira and Donna's sisters. Not to say Donna didn't like her food fast on occasion, but there lay the difference between herself and Dick Grayson or Roy Harper, whose idea of full course meals were accompanied by the words hold the pickle, hold the lettuce, high cholesterol doesn't sweat us."

She too had finished and wiped her mouth when Lex invited her elsewhere. An invitation she rose to with a nod and followed alongside him with a stately stride befitting her former bearing of royalty. She had heard plenty of what an evil genius Luthor had always been and she knew he didn't bring here down here to play in the mud. The the thought of using the same mind that wrecked so much havoc in the past as a force for good here had limitless potential. Donna was greatly anticipating what lay ahead.

Her jaw dropped at the spectacle that met them when they passed the retina scanner.All of it was surely enough to make even Oracle flush green with envy. She moved in closer, walked around and glanced at every item before she smiled to show her appreciation. "Lex, this is breathtaking. With your team of scientists and your own genius, I am sure you can conjure anything we lack in the future." She spoke up. " The three of us could make a true force of justice. That is, if you were to treat a certain someone less subserviently and more like an ally." Donna suggested. "Mercy is an amazon also, and if I am going to be the one in the field, it would be nice to have all the home support i can get. Jusst saying, but the choice iis yours. I'm with you no matter what."

Luthor’s grin broadened as he watch Donna gawk at the control room. “I’m not any sort of magician. I cannot “conjure” anything, but I can promise that I can find the best way to handle any sort of problem thrown our way.” He stepped forward and pulled at one of the keyboards, his fingers flying over the letters in a blur. “I’ve been analyzing the outbreaks of anti-mutant activity. While some of it seems genuinely a result of a impromptu response to the discovery of a mutant in a small community, I’ve noticed that Most seemed a lot more coordinated, as if they were already geared to cause a riot long before any mutant activity is discovered and reported. I’ve been monitoring internet activity and phone records, keying in on noteworthy phrasing and slang and managed to narrow down most of the activity within’ Southern California.” He gave a few more taps, showing a map of the US, pin marked with various colored dots. Many red ones were within the San Francisco area, so many that it gave that portion of the state a red splotted look. “Makes sense, really; with that Utopia stronghold right there in the bay. I suspect things will come to a head there soon. I’d like to have something in place to be there when it does blow up. In the meantime I want to find out whose been causing all this trouble.”

Lex had looked up at Donna when she spoke about Mercy. “My collaboration with Miss Graves gives her substantial control over Lexcorp should something happen to me. She has been with me for many years and has proven to be a formidable ally. While our relationship might be tenuous at times, I trust her implicitly. Do not worry about her. Mercy is just not as… trusting… as I am when it come to new business partners. Some of the previous ones turned out to be a little too greedy for their own good.” Lex waved his hand dismissively. “Which is why I have more faith in you. Your Amazon heritage would not allow you to speak such falsehood. Almost honest to a fault. I need a partner like that, which is why Mercy is within my employ.” He gave a slight smile. “In time I imagine you two will be fast friends.”

"You are probably correct. Your change of attitude will quite possibly be a difficult adjustment for her." Donna kept studying the west coast hot spots as she spoke then changed the subject. "I don't blame you. I intend to have a few words with whoever started the rioting myself. This anti-mutant stupidity needs to be stopped. I'll go pack, how soon do you plan to leave?"

------------------------------------------------------------------

Ah, a girl after his own heart. Anxious to get into the action. “Wheels up within the hour,” he nodded. “We have a meeting with the Governor tomorrow morning, which will give us time to case out the situation so that we can coordinate our next series of actions.” With his jet landing in the wee hours, he’d be able to get a bird’s eye view of the situation and be able to float some possible strategies for Mr. Brown and his constituents.

By the time Donna was ready to go, Lex’s own suitcases were packed in the limo. He must have much of it either sent on ahead or already packed on the plane because Lex couldn't possible have all the things he needed in one suitcase, one that Mercy seemed to be guarding very tightly as it wasn't loaded in the trunk where Donna's suitcases went, but on the front seat right next to where Mercy could keep a close eye on it as she drove. Lex himself opened the door to the back of the limo, stepping in behind her to take the backward facing chair, smiling at the Amazon in the most pleasant manner. Clearly he was quite pleased at the progress he had made. The fact that they were already cozening up on a “mission” spoke volumes to him. Of course he would have to ear her trust, but the idea of being able to do what he'd always wanted to do, uninhibited by that over-presumptuous boy scout, almost made him feel giddy.

He might very well be the right in this world, as he should have been.

“When we get into San Francisco I would like you to do a little reconnoiter, if just to map out where the lines have been drawn. Between what you can visually confirm and what I can back with what my intel had dug up, we should be able to convince the mayor that we can bring things under control with minimal bloodshed and loss of life, far much less than if he sends in his own forces.”

It became clearer as to why Lex had packed light when they drove up to the airstrip. Instead of a Lear Jet, a massive Antonov An-225 "Mriya" cargo transport plane parked on the tarmac as the limo drove through the access gates, waved through by the guard on point. Mercy grabbed the small metal-frame suitcase and headed up the transom into the plane.

Lex just smiled as he opened the door and stepped out, holding the door open for Donna. “Best to be prepared, he intoned as he started climbing the metal runged staircase to where it butted against the plane, right behind where the cockpit would be. Just a huge, oversized jumbo jet with the Lexcorp logo plastered all over it.

"Less than a month in this world and you've already talked your way into a meeting with a government you're barely familiar with. I've got to give you credit, there aren't many people that can pull that off. I'll see you shortly." Donna wore a small nd turned abruptly on her heals to prepare her luggage.

Less than 30 minutes later, Donna ventured to the limousine with her luggage, dressed in a business suit and heels. Wearing her gauntlets and her lasso of persuasion, both were neatly cloaked by her suit, while her costume itself lay in one of her suitcases. if Luthor was working to earn her trust, Donna would admit he was 80 percent there, though the fact he was being so secretive about the bag guarded by Mercy wasn't helping his case. Donna's eyes burned a hole through it as she entered the limousine and she wasn't shy about it.

"As an Amazon I am typically prepared." Donna agreed as she boarded the plane. Shall I do this recon job by land or air when we arrive, and I would prefer not having secrets from each other. What is in the small case, Lex?"

Lex only smile when Donna marveled over how he’d managed to ingratiate himself to the government. “My dear, I may not have a full understanding of how this world works, but much like every other variant, one constant holds true: Money is Power. You would be surprised as to how little palm-greasing I had to do to get a meeting in with the mayor. And that is just the beginning. I’ve already got several lobbyists working to further my agenda in the White House and I’ve even wrangled one sponsor in the WTO. I’ve also sent feelers out to the Justice Department which has shown quite a bit of interest. Depending on how we handle the FOH in San Fran, we might be able to further our agenda nationwide without too much fuss.

Of course Donna wouldn’t be able to see into the case as it was lead lined. “Launch codes,” he admitted as he jerked a thumb, indicating the cargo bay behind them, filled with crates and ordinance, all covered with tarps with the Lexcorp logo on them. “I’ve brought along some special toys that I’ve been itching to test in the field. But not before we do a little reconnoitering. When we land, I’ll get the command center. If you can get an aerial over the bay and monitor activities around Utopia, we can determine where to make our “demonstration.”

(In case you're confused, amazons don't have x-ray vision)

"Or perhaps power is money on this world, Lex." Something in Lex's words, or perhaps something in the man himsel, whatever it was, something caused Donna to smile yet again when Lex spoke about how he'd spread his influence through his greenbacks. He was already creating a new reputation for himself and soon she would do the same. Yeah, her adrenaline was buzzing.

"Launch codes?" Donna's eyebrows quirked in surprise. "Isn't that a little extreme, or do you not completely trust my ability to handle things if they get out of hand?"She calmly asked. "Is there any champagne onboard?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------
(In case you're confused, amazons don't have x-ray vision…

Didn’t know. Figured Lex would be paranoid enough just in case Big Blue came a knockin’.

Maybe we Should get profiles, or at least provide links to websites so that anyone who doesn’t know all about the charrie can read up)

-----------------------------------

Lex just smiled as he poured out some bubbly for the both of them, managing to not even spill one drop, though the plan seemed to move quite smoothly through the darkening skies. “I trust you to be able to handle anything on the ground. Who I don’t trust is the opposition. The second you believe you have the upper hand and all the bases covered, that is when you lose the match. Let’s just call it an insurance policy for now. Besides you can’t be Everywhere at once, and I suspect that the FOH have a lot more up their sleeves than just a handful of rowdy thugs with baseball bats and Molotov cocktails. An organization with that much reach isn’t comprised of a handful of ignorant racists with a web page and Twitter accounts. I believe somebody is backing their play, somebody with money and resources, much like myself.”

Again he gave that little boy smile, one that showed that he was up to some sort of trick. “I’ve already got Mercy scouring the internet, looking for clues as to who or what that might be. We had narrowed it down to three possibilities of which might be working in conjunction with each other to stage this coupe in the guise of social discord. I expect once we reach the west coast, we’ll have some definitive answers.”