Study time

Guest Tyronica Amara

Guest Tyronica Amara

Walking down the road with her nose in a book was a little mousish of a girl. If someone was to take a look at her they wouldn't even give her a second glance, mouse brown hair, small pert nose which sat her brown mottled glasses making he eyes look 5 times bigger then they were. Her cloak covering what could be a bag bulged on her back.

She stopped suddenlt in front of Blue Dragon Tavern, barely taking her nose out of her book and saying to herself " hmm maybe i can study here". She walks through the door and lets her eyes adjust and takes her glasses off. Looking around she saw the bar and saw how opened it was and was fixing to turn around and walk out when she saw a nice lil table with sorch marks on it in the corner. Placing her things on the table she walks back outside. Standing outside the door she mutters to herself " You can do this Abigail! Its just a few books" She holds her hands flat in front of her and closes her eyes and with a pressure in the air that felt a little like a watermelon being squeezed through a key hole and then a loud pop she was holding roughly 13 books. With a small on lips and a caress to the books she walks back in and starts to make herself comfy.

Pulling a leather bound book out of her pouch on her hip she starts sorting her books and checking them off in the little book she had in her hand. Frowning she set the book down and went back outside. Standing there with her hands in front of her and another stack of books appeared in her hands. Looking at the books she noticed the weeds were a very sickly gray color around her. Abigail thinking to herself **if i need more books i will have to find another spot **.

Having double checked her little book and smiling to herself she started to open several books and started to read.

Guest Aurora Del Mar

The chaotic avatar at least was kind enough to not teleport blindly into the bar. She remembered Jerrad's less-than-pleasant reactions to such forces (thought she would have argued that what she applied was not magic but science) so had appeared just outside the doors to the Blue Dragon Tavern. Indeed it had been some time ago. Too long, probably.

She dusted off her dress, just a simple deep purple frock with lilac accents around the collar and cuffs, before stepped inside, finding the establishment vacant save for one lone girl, clearly a bookworm, buried in a pile of tomes. Clearly not sensing any sort of a threat (though she did pick up a "whiff" of something familiar), the green haired girl made her way around the periphery of the bar; closely examining nearly every nook and cranny of the place. Sometimes she sniffed at the walls. At one juncture she licked a windowpane.

After nearly twenty minutes of this strange behavior, she gave a soft sigh before heading up to the bar. Lacking any sort of tender, she helped herself, leaning all the way across the counter to pluck a dust covered bottle containing some red amber liquid. She uncorked it and inhaled slowly. Finding the selection to her liking, she proceeded to down nearly half the contents before coming up for air, after which she wiped her face on her sleeve and recorked the bottle.

The strange woman then looked to the til, giving another sigh, realizing she was going to have to leave something in the way of payment. She set the bottle on the counter, then raised her hands, holding one hand about 3 inches above the palm of the other. A pulsating ball of green light slowly formulated between the gap, at first dull, then brightening as it contracted and compressed. It took a few minutes, but finally it had been reduced to the size and shape of a coin, taking on yellowish hues until the green had faded away, leaving behind a gold coin that she placed on top of the till.

Now she sat at the bar, once again taking several healthy slugs from the amber bottle, clearly deep in thought.

• 1 month later...

Carter stopped falling and found himself in an alley. He stopped and collapsed to the ground hugging his knees as he tried to stop his head from spinning. He was glad he hadn't eaten because his body trying to be violently ill. His head throbbed with every beat of his heart as though having returned to reality it was unable to bear being solid, having weight and substance again.

He wiped his eyes on the sleeve of his fatigues and tried to gather his thoughts. He tried to start at the beginning and work his way back to the present. He'd left the Air Force after eight years, having finished his time at Walter Reid to finish healing his leg. He'd have an ugly snaking scar across his calf but he only limped after long runs now. He'd gone home to Leonese, Maryland to see about his brother's death. He felt himself shy away from that thought, he wanted no part of remembering his brother's descent into drug addiction and overdose. He'd joined the Leonese Watchmen and patrolled the streets with other community members desperate to retake their streets from thugs and junkies. His team leader had turned out to be something other than human. She had offered to help them break up the drug ring and then when her friend had been kidnapped, Carter had offered to help. He'd been fighting someone and fallen off a path. He didn't know how long he'd fallen but it had felt like forever. He'd had strange visions, unsettling sensations of being observed and glimpses of other world.

He was immeasurably tired and it was with great effort that he forced himself to uncurl and begin to stand. Out of habit he patted down his pockets and gear. Everything was there. His Colt Python holster for cross draw on his left side, spare ammunition in its pouches. Flashlight, tonfa, keys, wallet, watch. He moved toward the mouth of the alley and pulled his black fatigue shirt over his shoulder rig, no point in advertising his gun since he wasn't sure where he was. He paused to dust off his black pants and boots, realizing he'd lost his hat somewhere on the trip, same thing for his stun gun. He did have the small pouch of gold coins Marissa had given him. He touched them and wondered if they really would turn to local currency as promised. It wouldn't be much but maybe it would be enough to get him some food and a room while he figured out what to do next. Whatever Marissa had been sidhe, elf, something along those lines, she'd said she didn't know what happened to those who left the path well, at last he knew something she didn't. It was cold comfort.

Cautiously stepping out he looked around at a city of stone buildings and designs he was completely unfamiliar with. It looked old, maybe by design or maybe because it was, he couldn't tell. Glancing at the street he noticed a dead patch of grass and then a sign. It reminded his of the sign outside taverns in Germany during his one trip through that area so he decided to try there first. It was quiet as he moved through the oak door. Inside he blinked his eyes to adjust to the dimness and saw two women and a scattering of tables. One woman wearing glasses and a cloak was surrounded by a massive pile of books and the other had green hair, a year ago that would have given him pause but not now, and was drinking from a bottle or red liquid.

Taking a moment to consider his own appearance, head to toe black, cargo pants with a web built, jungle boots, and a long sleeved four button over shirt. His hat hadn't made the trip so his close but brown hair screamed military or cop to anyone from his world. He unconsciously brushed at shirt to straighten it.

His stomach picked that moment to decide that it was no longer in rebellion and wanted something to fill it.

Carter cleared his throat, "Excuse me ladies, I seem to be lost and would greatly appreciate knowing where I am, what building, what country," he paused here, "and if I can get something to eat."

Guest Aurora Del Mar

The lady with the vibrant green hair turned to take in the stranger; a slight fluorescent green glow to her eyes flaring a bit before fading before she sat her bottle down. “Let’s see about food first. Can’t think too well on an empty stomach.” She stepped behind the counter and began rooting through the bags and boxes under the shelf. Finally she sat two bowls on the counter, one of peanuts and one of some sort of fried chip. Not a store bought Lay’s brand potato chip, but more like something created in somebody’s kitchen; a bit thicker but still fairly tasty and salty. “ ‘ere ya go, fer starters.” She must have figured that he needed something to wash it all down because she sat a bottle of what looked to be home brew next to the bowls before returning to her own drink.

Again she seemed to regard him with a little interest before answering his questions. “As to where you are, this is Rhydin; the land as well as the town, I think. You’re currently at the Blue Dragon Tavern.” She now leaned in a bit, her voice dropping an octave. “I’m guessing that you’ve managed to show up here under… extenuating circumstances? It happens quite a bit around here. Rhydin’s like the worm-hole armpit of the universe. Everybody ends up here.”

The strange girl then paused a minute, tilting her head a bit as if listening to something before nodding her head. “Yeah. Yer right,” she muttered before turning back to Carter and extending her hand. “I’m Aurora, by the way. Local troublemaker.”

The lady with the vibrant green hair turned to take in the stranger; a slight fluorescent green glow to her eyes flaring a bit before fading before she sat her bottle down. “Let’s see about food first. Can’t think too well on an empty stomach.” She stepped behind the counter and began rooting through the bags and boxes under the shelf. Finally she sat two bowls on the counter, one of peanuts and one of some sort of fried chip. Not a store bought Lay’s brand potato chip, but more like something created in somebody’s kitchen; a bit thicker but still fairly tasty and salty. “ ‘ere ya go, fer starters.” She must have figured that he needed something to wash it all down because she sat a bottle of what looked to be home brew next to the bowls before returning to her own drink.

Again she seemed to regard him with a little interest before answering his questions. “As to where you are, this is Rhydin; the land as well as the town, I think. You’re currently at the Blue Dragon Tavern.” She now leaned in a bit, her voice dropping an octave. “I’m guessing that you’ve managed to show up here under… extenuating circumstances? It happens quite a bit around here. Rhydin’s like the worm-hole armpit of the universe. Everybody ends up here.”

The strange girl then paused a minute, tilting her head a bit as if listening to something before nodding her head. “Yeah. Yer right,” she muttered before turning back to Carter and extending her hand. “I’m Aurora, by the way. Local troublemaker.”

Carter moved in to take a stool, assuming the lady was the proprietor or perhaps the bartender. Quickly, he reviewed the room as he sat down, casually taking in the entrances and exits and which stools could be used as clubs or shields should trouble erupt. Paranoid? Not little old me, he thought wryly. Aloud, he said "Thank you," with a polite smile. He hoped there were no social customs that were going to get him into trouble. He'd been raised to be polite but he'd just spent the day, well the last real day he could remember dealing with a violent society of sociopathic frog men who'd viewed politeness as weakness. Still, he defaulted to manners whenever possible.

He started with the peanuts and then a few chips, careful of the strange food as well as the salt content. He'd heard that people in more primitive times had not understood water sanitation and that beers and ales were the common drink as the brewing process purified otherwise tainted water but he wasn't much of drinker anymore and he wanted to be very careful, especially on an empty stomach.

Reaching into a pocket on his web belt he withdrew a small pouch barely large enough to put his first two fingers and thumb into and withdrew a single heavy gold coin. He'd never seem the type before and hoped it was right. It didn't look the ones Marissa had loaded into before handing it to him yesterday or what seemed like yesterday. She'd said it was the simplest of magics to load five coins into the pouch and whenever he stepped into a new world it would replace them with five local coins that the natives had lost somewhere on that world. It now contained four coins that were likely the same as the one he casually laid on the bar. He had no idea of the value of the coins but he'd wait to see if more coins were expected. He'd have to find a way to earn more money as the pouch only converted coins upon entry into the new world and would only replace as many as it contained. Still having four coins was better than none and might get him a room for the night. Pulling the draw strings closed he carefully replaced the pouch into the web belt pocket and sealed the velcro, nobody pickpocket velcro. Unless they have magic, he reminded himself.

Carter nodded at the extenuating circumstances remark and then at her introduction froze, for a second. He served beside Army special forces and Marines who'd said similar things, usually just before all hell broke loose in the club. He smiled to hide the caution that flared to life as he reached out to shake her hand with his own long fingered calloused one. "My name is Carter Cash. I'm happy to have landed here. I'd have been happy almost anywhere after falling between worlds but if I'd been clearer headed and stronger stomached, I'd likely have kissed the ground I landed on.

You say people turn up here all the time do any of them leave and is there anyone I should speak to? Local authorities or that sort of thing."

Carter decided to forge ahead and hope for the best. He was sincerely glad to be Rhydian and he sincerely hoped it was going to be a pleasant stay.

Guest Tyronica Amara

Well Abigail barely noticed the green haired female that had walked in. She didn't even know there was a guy there either since she was so engrossed in the books that surrounded her.

Abigail started flipping through book after book slamming each shut in turn. Then standing up she noticed the guy at the counter. With barely a second glance at him she walked outside to the side of the building and holding her hands out in front of her closed her eyes and concentrated. In a matter of seconds she had another stack of books in her hands and went back inside.

Sitting back at the table that was already covered with books she started reading with earnest. Grumbling to her self and quickly making notes in her leather little notebook. Mumbling to herself (completely forgetting she isn't alone) "Gotta get rid of this somehow, or maybe a way to control it without hurting what is around me." Still rummaging through the new stack until she laid her hands on the second to last book there and exclaiming aloud " Yes! Now i can figure out what language is spoken here"

Carter was reluctant to divert too much attention away from Aurora. Anyone who labeled themselves as troublemaker usually went out their way to live up it and unsure if she meant she was a practical joker or a sorcerer along the lines of Circe, the one who ran around turning men into pigs. But, the girl at the table might have an answer or two herself, if she wasn't completely flaked out.

Carter casually tossed a piece of popcorn to land just over the book and on the page the young lady was staring at. Without losing Aurora from his field of vision, he calls over to the studious young lady, "I'm afraid we weren't introduced. My name is Carter Cash and I speak English. How about you?"

Guest Aurora Del Mar

Aurora had watched with interest as Carter placed the coin on the counter. Oh she could very well feel the magics involved, foreign magics at that; but she kept her tongue. Jerrad wasn’t here, so the slight-of-hand spell wasn’t going to disrupt his delicate senses. Granted she could perform the same trick. Well maybe not exactly the same. What she employed wasn’t any sort of manna-driven transmutational construct. No, what she employed was a bit more visceral; generating from an energy-driven primordial soup.

Besides, she had other matters to address, like answering the poor lost soul’s answers. “Leave? Well, yes and no. It all depends. As for introducing yourself to the local constabulary? Oh I wouldn’t bother trying to explain yourself. Most of them are still along the lines of pitchforks and torches, though they’ve gotten fairly tolerant of us odd folks. But I do know of a few people that might be able to help you. Might even bend over backwards to help you….”

Again she bent her head, listening to something that none in the room could hear and nodding once again. “Yeah.. that’s right,” she muttered to nobody in particular before lifting her head. “I can take you to them, but things at the castle right now are a bit… tense. Paranoid actually. If I just show up with a complete stranger they might get a bit… agitated.” She looked about the room, her eyes once again settling on the only other patron in the room; the girl seemingly deeply engrossed in her studies. “Tell ya what. Just hang out here for a bit while a make a few phone calls.”

Aurora had turned a bit, having watched the girl leave for a moment, then come right back in with yet another stack of book. She would have said that the local library was doing some spectacular business, had she not felt the underpinnings of some fairly strong energies bubbling just outside the wall to the tavern. Yep, there sure was something strange with that girl.

Well, one problem at a time.

She stood up then, tapping the counter a few times before heading out the front door, only to end up standing in the street. She probably could have done this inside the bar; Teeth knew that Drac could probably hear her sneeze all the way from the other side of the frickin’ planet; but she didn’t want to employ any spikes of energy in Jerrad’s bar, less something bad happened. Again, it wasn’t magic, but she didn’t want to risk it.

She also didn’t want to risk interrupting Drac, especially in light of the current situation, so she sent her mental summons to the only person that would easily receive her queries… as much as she resented using him as a message board. She cupped her hand over her ear as if she were holding a phone to her head. Okay she couldn’t quite broadcast on the same frequency as most, in fact her telepathic tendencies were haphazard at best, but id didn’t really matter. She knew that He’d be listening for her. He always was. Besides, that sort of was his job.

“Hey. Asshole,” she spoke aloud, garnering more that a rude stare from the afternoon throng of shoppers that milled up and down the street. “ Drac hanging around you? I wanna talk with him.”

Guest Timothy Rex

(cross posting both in here and in the Vashtalian Castle)

“Asshole” jerked his head up as the powwow at the Vashtalian gates, even as he turned the mechanical collar round about between his palms. He turned to the dragon Lord. “Seems Aurora wants to chat with you. ‘Course I don’t know why she insists on gong through me to do it. She’s loud enough, especially with Jonah backing her up. Wanna talk to her for a few minutes and see what she’s up to before she does something we’ll all regret? She’s over at the BDT.”

Timothy Rex then turned his attention back to the Militant device, clearly not wanting to don the collar, but knowing that if they wanted to really test its limitations, he was going to have to.

Guest Solem'cleavu

"You know you could have gotten in contact with me directly if you needed me. There really was no need to go through Timothy." This from Drac as he just popped into existence next to her.

"Now, what is it you needed?"

Guest Tyronica Amara

As the popcorn landed in her book she looked up and realized she really wasn't alone. Looking a little miffed she said " my name is abigail. And if you don't mind i would like to go back to my studies. I need to find a way out of here." and mubmleing to herself stating " so i don't hurt anyone else.

Then really getting a good look at the green haired female with a good head to toe glance as she walked out of the bar she went back to her books. This one was about the language of this world she was on and to find a way out she needed to find a safe way to leave.

Carter cocks an eyebrow at the bookish young lady, a wasted effort since no one was paying attention to him at the moment. "Umm, Sorry to keep interrupting, but since we both want to get home from here and the lady with green hair has offered to contact someone who could maybe tell us about this place, I thought we could at least work together on getting out of here. Since I understand you and your mannerism look familiar maybe we're looking to go back to the same place? A world called earth, where they have cinnamon buns and this wonderful place called White Castle? Yes, no, maybe?" Carter worked to keep his tone light and avoid any sarcasm. The woman seemed withdrawn and he was adrift in a strange place. He also realized he was starting to pick up the Texas drawl so many of fellow SPs had spoken with. After so many months in the desert together he'd picked up the slow easy drawl without realizing it until his father had pointed it out during his recuperation at Walter Reid. He still lapsed into it, especially when he was coaxing someone or in the middle of a fight.

He absently tapped out a cigarette and lit it taking a long thoughtful drag as he waited for a response from either of the two women his present strange circumstances had involved him with.

Guest Aurora Del Mar

"You know you could have gotten in contact with me directly if you needed me. There really was no need to go through Timothy." This from Drac as he just popped into existence next to her.

"Now, what is it you needed?"

Aurora's lip folded in a bit. "I didn't mean fer ya to come all the way out here. I just wanted a yay or nay from ya. I know you're mired up to your wingjoints in crap." Her whole demeanor change quite rapidly as she gave him a coy smile. "Besides, I don't think you really want me anywhere near your brain. I might scramble things up."

Then again her whole attitude changed into a more serious tone as she rolled her eyes then nodded her head towards the inn. "Dunno if this all fits into the current theme of things, but we seem to have another temporal breach. Got two of 'em in there. Not sure about the girl, but she sure feels familiar. Also got a guy who's clearly not from this neck of the woods. I'm guessin' Earth, or somewhere near close ta it.

"In either case, I was wondering if it'd be okay to put 'em up at the castle. In mean in light of all the crap happenin' around here, I figure to at least get 'em outta the line of fire? I know they'll have ta suffer some sort of brain scan to make sure they're not sleeper agents but I figure we may as well remove as many unknown variants off the field of play as possible."

She cocked her head to the side, that long green hair seemingly caressing her face under its own compulsion as if alive. It might also explain her near even-handed reply. Her "little buddy" was helping with the explanations, making her sound damn near reasonable.

Guest Solem'cleavu

Drac just shrugged for the most part. "Whichever is fine." Taking a peek inside the tavern then before turning back to Aurora.

"Perhaps the one with her nose in her books can find whataver it is she's looking for in one of Clawrift's studies. As far as the other one he could probably hang out with Gregory since he's from the same place in the meantime."

Guest Tyronica Amara

Looking up at the guy and actually seeing him for the first time Abigail said " I am not looking at returning to earth i want to go some place where there is no body and nothing except enough to live off of and shelter." With that said she put her nose back in the book thinking to herself ' why do males have to be so nosy, ugh!'

The book she was currently studying was about the local language.. well she hopes it was about the local language it was kinda obscure and a bit difficult but she was good with her words. Next she will have to see if they any maps of other worlds or maps that might be safe but first she would have to learn the local speech. Hopfully i can study without further interuptions.

Carter turned back to the bar suitably chastened and absently ate some peanuts. He'd assumed that since Aurora had indicated that people ended up here involuntarily that the young woman at the table had as well. It had never occurred to him that people might seek out other realms to live in or explore. It made sense in a way he supposed but he wanted to go home, didn't he? Maybe he'd see what this world had to offer while he was here but getting out needed to be a priority. Funny that he'd just assumed it would be for anyone not native to this plane.

He took another long slow drag, lamenting the fact that this was his last pack of cigarettes. Well, maybe this world had tobacco. It had beer and that was something. He realized he'd finished his looked regretfully at the glass. Beer had a way of soothing away all those bad memories from the desert, all the pained faces, all the anger. He'd have to be very careful about how many of these he had. He wanted to be the one holding the bottle, not the other way around.

Guest Aurora Del Mar

<<"Perhaps the one with her nose in her books can find whatever it is she's looking for in one of Clawrift's studies. As far as the other one he could probably hang out with Gregory since he's from the same place in the meantime.">>

“Creepy. My thoughts exactly.” Again that coy look crossed her face. “You really shouldn’t be reading my mind. Might make you nauseous.” Then the flirtatious look vanished as she seemed to settle back into business mode. “Well, give your guys a heads up. Don’t need ‘em takin’ pot shots at me when I stumble into the gates.” Not that it would ever ever happen, but Aurora always did like to exaggerate. She gave Drac a halfhearted salute (she was never into the military thing, for obvious reasons, but she did try, in her own fashion.) and stomped back into the bar.

“Well it looks like we got the green light. Whenever you wanna blow this pop stand….” She paused a bit, taking in the girl that seemed to be nearly buried under her work, with her new “recruit” hanging over her.

Not even Aurora was that dense. She slowed her pace, casually walking up behind the duo, taking some time to peer over the woman’s shoulder, only to wince at the reading material. The whole scene reminded her of home, only the woman at the table would have been Ariel, buried up to her armpits in paperwork and research and spell and such.

Could they be so lucky? If so, that would make three in the fold. Seemed like a bit of overkill, but it the girl was anything like what she suspected she was going to need them, almost as much as they could use another Soothsayer on the team, especially since they were currently down one.

Well, whatever the case, it looked like poor Carter got shot down. At least it wasn’t in lieu of another guy, though it’s hard to complete with a book. Again she peered over the girl’s shoulder, looking at all that Elvish script. “Yer gonna get a migraine tryin’ ta read all that,” she stated, the long green hair nearly draping over Abigail’s shoulder, moving as if it were alive. “Stare at it longer an’ I’ll be blood’ll come gushin’ right outta yer left nostril. I should know.”

Carter stood and quickly checked all the buckles and tie downs that went with his gear. It was a practiced motion that had developed over years of soldiering and done nearly unconsciously. Satisfied that everything was in place he nodded to Aurora and then froze his flip reply died as he watched her hair seem to move on its own. Clearing his throat to avoid a croaking response, he merely said "I'm more than ready. Where are we going?"

I'm going to need another cigarette, he thought. Maybe several.

Guest Solem'cleavu

Dracon had followed Aurora into the building at that point. Speaking up when Carter asked where they were going.

"To my home nation of Vashtalia for now. We do have a few things going on right now so I'm afraid I may not be able to provide you the hospitality I may prefer but I can at least point you to whatever room of the castle you wish to use for the duration of your stay on this world."

It was then that he looked over to the woman with the books. "If the young lady would wish to accompany us as well I'm sure we can find plenty more material for her to look over to give her an idea of where she wishes to go."

Guest Tyronica Amara

Abigail looked up when she heard about more books and asked ratherly reluctently "Ummm, how to ask this without sounding rude. Ugh! Will there be people around me? Things happen without my doing." Abigails biggest fear is hurting more people and being hunted again.

Then she turned around and looked at the green haired woman and said " I like hair. It's really pretty, and i am reading elvish looks like english to me." Then she saw the guy was standing behind her also and one simple sentence came to mind turning to look right at him and said " oh i didn't realize you were still here."

Guest Solem'cleavu

Drac merely shook his head. "If you do not wish there to be other people around you while you are doing your research then it can be arranged. Additionally once we are done with our current situation perhaps my advisor can help you gain a measure of control over whatever happens around yourself. Of course if you do not wish any assistance and merely wish to study in peace then that's fine as well.

I'll be waiting outside, once all of you are ready to leave let me know. We will need to check in with one of the border outposts first before proceeding to the castle. This includes you as well Aurora so don't even think of going straight to the castle from here." With that he had turned and made his way back outside the tavern to wait for the others to get ready to leave.

Guest Tyronica Amara

There was only one word for how Abigail was feeling and that was really really nervous. Thinking to herself should i tell them what has happened or just wait. But he said there were more books and he can make to where i am alone. Looking at the guy closer to the door Abigail says " If you can keep others away from me that would be best. Umm one more question any clue from where i got these books?" Abigail blushed a little as she waved her hand over the books she was reading.

A castle, Carter thought, that's a heck of step up from the tiny studio apartment I had back home. Watching the distress that played across the lady with books' face he wondered what had happened to her. He'd seen people deal with bad shock in a similar manner, a controlled withdrawal. Not everyone needed alcohol to get wrestle their demons back into the closet, some people tried to micromanage their entire life. Some sat in the corner and rocked quietly.

Carefully taking out a second cigarette, Carter chained it to the first and once it was going ground the first one out on his boot and placed the butt in a plastic sandwich bad in the cargo pocket of his pants.

Looking at the pile of books, he debates on going out and then decides to err on the side of politeness one more time. "I'm going with them. I don't know what is going on here but this seems like the best way to find out. I obviously don't know where your books came from, but I'll help carry them if you'd like and I'll try to stay out of your way. I'm sorry if I was pushy earlier, but jumping dimensions tends to fray my nerves."

Carter staid well back but didn't move toward the door right away to see if she wanted or would accept his help.

Guest Solem'cleavu

Dracon had just leaned against the outside of the door in the meantime. "Just bring the books out here and I'll make sure they get back to their rightful owners before we leave. The proprietor of this tavern doesn't like magic to be performed within his walls and I would like to limit my own exposure to the interior as well."

Guest Aurora Del Mar

Aurora had watched the dynamics of the little group with a raised brow, but finally found a means to segue into the conversation. “Trust me; dimensional jumps are not easy on anyone.” She turned back to the bookworm, knowing she was going to be more difficult to convince. “I’m quite sure Lord Dracon here can put you up in a room far, far away from any other life forms, if you wish. The castle’s freakin humongous! C’n almost walk for days and not see a living soul.”

Okay, it was an exaggeration, but Aurora was determined to remove as many tidbits as she could out of her nephew’s reach. And she continued to lay it on thick. “And as for reading material? Claw’s got this library that makes the National Archives look like a dilapidated book mobile. In fact….” Aurora picked up one of the books. “This looks suspiciously like one of that grumpy gecko’s stash. Hrm. Interesting.” She dropped the book back down on the table, letting it land with a thwop sound. “Either way he’s got all kinds of stuff on magic and manna and stuff. All the trappings for the ultimate term paper.”

She bent down, peering up at the girl, finding her features oh- so- familiar but couldn’t’ quite nail it just yet. She smiled mischievously up at her though, that green hair rolling in tendrils that seemed to be alive on their own. “There’s also ice cream,” she crooned, as if that was crowning cherry on top of all the offers.