Meanwhile, in the study…

Carolyn

Janis finally stirred after a couple of hours. “Oh no,” she mumbled looking around. She sat on the edge of the cot and rubbed her face. “So, it wasn’t a dream,” she mumbled to herself. “Why do I keep coming to this place? I know he’s just going to lecture me about encroachment on his private space.” She buried her face in her hands. 

Claw was actually still busy at his desk actually, having finished his actual paperwork now he was working on further spellwork working on ways to improve and streamline various spells the parchments he was using filled with lines that resembled mathematical equations and what could frankly pass as code in the homeworld of their newest arrivals as well as the guardsmen led by that Colonel fellow.  For as quiet as the room was save for the scratching of his pen across paper he did hear Janis when she woke up but didn't really say anything preferring to focus on the current task at hand for the time being.

Janis fastened her cloak as she shook off her jitters. She folded her arms across her chest and tucked her hands under her upper arms. She stood up and  wandered over to where he was working.

Not saying anything, she peered at the paper he was scribbling away on and nodded. 

“Einstein Rosen bridge,” Janis mumbled as she walked over to the bookshelf she had used to right her shoulder. Inching up on her toes, Janis moved a couple of books and retrieved a small leather bound diary. She pushed the books back into place.

Janis walked back, opening the little book, and flipping to a page to something similar to what he had been writing. 

"hm" would be all that was said as the mage continued to work.  Extending his hand and casting a light spell while looking at his notes before nodding to himself.  "Mana efficiency does seem to have increased.  Good, I'll get this over to Berulan later then to put it into practice.  Now..."  Putting those notes away at that point before he brought out another set, this one had large magic circles drawn on it that each looked similar to the street layouts of the three sub-capitals.  Next to this sheet he put another sheet that looked more like a music composition paper that he started to erase and redo some lines on.  "So, care to enlighten me on what brings you to crashing in my study this time?"  All the while he wasn't looking up from his work.

Janis closed her notebook before tucking it away under her cloak. 

"It's a safe place for me to heal," she said with a shrug.  "Do you ever not work?"

“Well may wish to consider the Infirmary Wing next time.  That’s what it is there for after all and it would save my bookshelves the punishment of being used as a way to relocate a shoulder.”  Making a few more notes on his work before he answered her question.  “No not really it’s a good way to stave off boredom.”

• 5 weeks later...

~ A young girl rushed in and pushed the door shut again. She turned around and upon seeing Clawrift she froze in place her hyacinth blue eyes rounded in fright and uncertainty. 'I didn't know anyone was in here. I'm sorry. I will just go. She reached up to pull the door open but it was heavy and she was struggling with it.~

Claw had quirked a brow when the little one had made her way inside before giving a slight look over to Janis and shrugging his shoulders.  Maybe she was the daughter of one of the staff that got lost, at least he hoped that was the case because of one of the guards was slacking he was going to have to recommend someone get fired and he really didn't want to go through the trouble.  Getting up for a moment before he made his way over to the girl and kneeling down to get to eye level.  "It is no bother little one but what are you doing over in this area of the castle?"

She tossed her mane of white hair behind her shoulder before she spoke...."I am playing hide and seek with my brother Saint and I found a portal opening at Grandpa Brimstones closet and thought it a great place to hide. When I realized I was back at the castle I went looking for someone who might have an idea of how I can get back home to our cave. Mama is busy with Aunt Siren and Daddy is back at the bar with Saint. The portal device broke when I came through and now I can't get back." Everything was said with complete calmness and the sure assurance that these two adults would get her home.~

“Hmm.”  There were a few keywords that the little one had mentioned that got the old mage to thinking and immediately he did a few scanning spells that he knew of on the girl before he spoke up again.  “There are a few questions I have for you little one but for now I suppose we should let Lord Kelinium know of your arrival.”

Standing up at that point Claw turned to look over at Janis.  “You are welcome to hang out here if you wish while I go see Lord Kelinium with the little one here or you can come along, doesn’t matter to me either way.”

Making his way out the door at that point while signaling for the little one to follow him.  “Well come along then little one.  By the way what is your name?   Also what are your parents’ names and can you tell me the general location of this cave your family apparently lives in?”

~ Nova gave the mage a huge smile as she answered his questions....My name is Nova Marie and my mommy is Star Draconia Windwalker and my daddy is Ashmire. He is a mutant. I have a twin brother named Saint Draconius Windwalker. We live in a huge ice cave close to the castle." She had reached up as she spoke grabbing the mage's hand and skipping along beside him. You teach my Aunt Siren and her boyfriend Junior. I know your name is Lord Clawrift and that I am not supposed to bother you because you are busy, but....I don't know where I am and everything is changed around. I'm afraid that I am going to be in trouble." Her smile faltered a bit before she asked in a soft whisper " Is this king going to blow fire at me?"  Nova always gave away her age. She was completely honest and upfront about everything she was thinking and feeling.~

“Well that explains it then.”  With the girl’s explanation and introduction pieces started falling into place for him.  “Little one unfortunately I myself do not know these people of which you speak and we certainly do not have a large ice cavern anywhere near the castle.  It would seem that you are very far from your home, if not exactly far in terms of place but most definitely you are far away in terms of time.  Do not fret though we'll be able to get you home soon enough.  Now to answer your question that answer would be no, he would have no reason to after all."

"This new timeline that I have found myself in is quite remarkable. Do you know of Lord Dracon in this timeline???" Nova asked her questions very calmly but the little girl was freaking out under the surface. How was she ever supposed to get back home and she now understood why Grandpa Brimstone said they didn't need to be playing in the closet. She was stuck in some dimensional time warp where Lord Clawrift acted more like a dragon then ever and apparently it was before her mom had arrived. If her mom existed at all in this time line ~

((This is just a side note but keep in mind that Nova is about a few hundred thousand years in the past at this point, heh.  The Brave New World threads take place when Vashtalia was still very young, probably having reached around its 1000th year since its founding.  The fact that the Militants from the main timeline are here just chalk up to Multiverse theory))

“Hmm, that is another name I do not recognize but I am going to stop you right there before you ask any further questions young one.  Please be mindful of the questions you ask because it is much better to assume that it is likely that none of the people you know exist here in this timeline and/or in this particular universe.  Keep your chin up though just look at it this way.  Since I am apparently still alive in your timeline you can likely say that you are the only other person in existence in your time to have met the first ruler of Vashtalia, Lord Kelinium, who we are going to right now.  That will no doubt be a fun story for you to tell your friends and family when we get you back home.”

~Nova looked up at the mage and spoke softly..." Can I just be a little girl for the moment and let you know that I am very afraid. I am honored to be meeting the first King of Vashtalia but I am also nervous. I hope he doesn't think of me as some sort of witch and burn me at the stake. I'm not sure I can harness my powers without my brother Saint. We kinda meld together into a two headed hydra that spits both fire and ice." She was babbling slightly but she was also young and as she stated scared. She had come to the conclusion that her mom and dad hadn't been born yet and she kinda wondered if her grandpa Brimstone was around. She decided to ask...."Lord Clawrift you mentioned that I am in a different time line and all that but do you know my Grandpa Brimstone by any chance? I was thinking since I was playing in his secret closet and his portal thingy brought me here in particular that maybe you know him?" She was hoping he did. She just had to get home. But maybe she could speak to the new king and see what he was going to say. Nova knew she was young and her elders were going to have to get her out of the mess she had gotten herself into.~

“I’m guessing the Solem’Cleavu clan is also in charge in your timeline?  If so then you should be able to guess what kind of dragon Lord Kelinium is since he’s part of the same clan.  Also, little one you do remember that we are in a world where magic is commonplace right?  Why in the all the worlds would you think anyone here would burn you at the stake for being a witch?”

Claw had sighed a bit with a small shrug before he continued.  “Brimstone is yet another name I do not recognize.  No matter the portal you speak of could have been meant to be an easy mode of transport between this Brimstone’s place and the castle in Vashtalia proper which would indicate that whoever this Brimstone is he is probably on staff working for the Vashtalian Government in your timeline or at the very least is friends with the leadership.   Either way perhaps this portal was either an inferior knock-off of our own teleportation gate network or something else happened that caused its target coordinates to shift when you went through it.”

~Nova was silent a moment as she digested all this knowledge and then she nodded before replying...' I am half mutant and Daddy said the full bloods have problems working with magic. Perhaps my mutant blood caused the disruption that brought me here and caused the teleporter to break into a million shiny pieces.' Her blue eyes filling with tears she said softly.....' I am never going to be able to get back home am I?" She took a deep breath to try and calm down but she was just a little girl and she was losing her grip on her composure.~

Clawrift just sighed as he reached down and patted the girl's head a bit.  "Didn't I just get finished saying not too long ago that we'll have you home soon enough?  Even by a quick glance I can tell that you are displaced more by time than by place.  A fact that will make it much easier to get you home especially since you originated from a version of this particular world anyway.  Now if you were like some of the others that have arrived here such as this most recent trio from a place called Earth or even the guardsmen that crash landed on this world, both groups of which are displaced not only by time but also by a great distance in place, then it would be much harder to get you home and I would likely say that you would be possibly stuck here for the remainder of your life. 

As it stands though it shouldn't take more than a day or two, maybe three days to get a lock on your point of origin and get you home.  How about you show me the spot you first arrived at after we get you introduced to Lord Kelinium?  That will speed things up greatly."

~ Nova was reassured by his calm. Assessment and nodded. She brushed some dust off her pink and purple skirt and bending down she fixed her lace edged socks and rubbed some dust off her sandals. She then held her small hand up to take the mage's large hand again. 'Ok, I think I am ready to meet the mighty Lord Kelinium. I hope my clothing is fancy enough for his Lordship. I don't want to offend him by looking like a ragamuffin.~

"Your clothing is good enough.  Assuming the Solem'cleavu clan also exists in your timeline I somehow doubt their temperament is much different from the temperament of our own Solem'cleavus so if you've dealt with the ones on your world without offending them you should be just fine here.  Well here we are."  They arrived at a rather nondescript door that was much the same as all the others they passed in the hallway although this one Claw gave a light knock to it before hearing a voice bidding them to enter.  Opening the door and letting the little one through first before he himself entered he gave a slight bow to the room's occupant after closing the door behind him.  All in all the room looked to be a bit smaller than Claw's study but otherwise it did look much the same.  Even the desk looked the same as the room's occupant had looked up from the paperwork he was working on and spoke.

"So you are the newest arrival to grace our halls.  Please have a seat young one I am Kelinium of the Red Dragon Clan Solem'Cleavu and I guess I serve as the King of this nation."

~Nova executed a quite graceful curtsy before taking the offered seat. She spoke softly and with respect to Lord Kelinium. "Tis a great honor you bestow upon me to take time out of your busy schedule to help me clean up my mistake Your Highness. I am sorry to have interrupted your schedule. Please forgive the intrusion into your timeline but I didn't mean to. I was hiding in the closet playing hide and seek with my brother when the teleporter fired and I wound up here. If you can help me get back home I would so love you forever. She shoved her white blonde bangs out of her face and regarded Lord Kelinium with her large blue reptilian eyes. 

"No need for the formalities young Nova you are a fellow dragon after all and this isn't any grand reception, if it were I wouldn't be talking to you in my little hole-in-the-wall of an office.  Anyway, I do not believe we have ever received anyone, much less a fellow dragon, from another version of this world alone not to mention another version of our very nation.  As such Clawrift has not reported anything about what you two have talked about on your way over here outside of the nature of our newest little visitor and I would advise you to keep it that way.  We don't need to risk interference with our own timeline by you constantly making references to your version of this world and Vashtalia.  That all being said however..."

With this Kelinium had gotten up and made his way around to the other side of the desk.  Leaning back to take a slight seating position on the edge of it as he studied the girl's face.  "Hmm, looks like you hail from one of the ice dragon clans although which one I am not sure.  Likely one that either doesn't exist in our world or at least doesn't exist yet, either way please don't mention which clan.  We really don't need to know for the reason I stated before.  That being said your aura and psionic presence also seems to have a wavelength similar to the outworlder guards' mutants so maybe they exist in your timeline as well.  Once again no need to tell me who you're related to just keep that to yourself.  Either way for now you can just make yourself at home and to re-iterate what Old Claw here may have already told you we'll no doubt be able to get you home soon.  For now why don't you go ahead and take Claw over to where you came to our world at so he can get to work on that."

:::Nova listened to what Lord Kelinium said and bit her lower lip before she nodded...."Yes sir, I can do that and keep my mouth shut. Mum's the word!" She stood up and turned towards the door. "Thank you Lord Kelinium for your hospitality and understanding." She left the office and grabbed Lord Clawrift's hand as she left the castle and walked out into the garden area where she stopped and pointed at several metal pieces and then reaching into her pocket pulled out the rest of the fried teleporter. "This is where I showed up after I got teleported." Nova turned everything over to Clawrift and let him do his magic stuff to somehow get her home.:::::

Claw let himself be dragged over to one of the gardens and the first thing he did was take a look around.  "So if you teleported in here why didn't the damn alarms go off...?  For that matter where the hell were the guards that should have seen you and alerted the rest of us?  I think we'll need to take another look at who we have stationed here at the castle, well no matter I'll bring those subject up with Kelinium later."

Focusing his study to the spot that Nova indicated now he just took a seat on the ground and seemed to stare at a singular point in the air in front of him for a bit.  "Well this spot does seem to be a bit temporally unstable still.  Usually when we get a portal opening up there's hardly any trace once it closes up but this pathway still seems to be active albeit a bit unstable.  It's possible the portal you came through may open back up at some point if we simply wait a while.  With that being said..."  Getting back up then before he just stuck the butt end of his staff into the ground.  Placing his hand on top of the crystal nested within the top of the staff he did mutter a few things under his breath as the crystal took on a steady reddish glow. 

"Well by the fact that you seem to know a version of myself from your timeline I can only guess that he'll be studying your exit point on their end so let's just leave this little beacon here and see if they can't stabilize the portal on their end.  Either way it does seem that you are separated from your home more by time than by place so this shouldn't take too long.  Just a waiting game at this point so how about we go get some food for you?"

:::Nova perked up a little bit at what Clawrift said and nodded vigorously...' I am starving!!! Do you have donuts yet?? I love donuts. Especially chocolate eclairs. I think those were created by pleasure demons. They are to die for! She took the mage's hand as he led her off. She was talking a mile a minute about her favorite pastry and what types of food they had and she wanted to know if it had changed between the time changes. She suddenly stopped and asked Clawrift a strange question....' Can you be around your older self???? I'm scared and I really don't want to go through that portal loop by myself. No telling where I would end up.' Nova shook at the mental image of herself being eaten. She really wanted to go back home.::::